On 25 May 2020 CAVA reopened its reading room. To guarantee our visitors' safety, we have taken the following measures:
- No more than two visitors are allowed in the reading room at any one time, so we can ensure each visitor has enough space and social distancing rules can be adhered to.
- Every work station will be disinfected after each visit, so you can work in all safety.
- A member of staff will fetch the requested documents well in advance, so the records can go through a 'quarantine period'.
- We've extended our opening hours from 08h30 to 17h00, but visits are only possible by appointment.
During these trying times, we ask our reading room visitors to help us maintain a high level of safety by following these guidelines:
- If you want to visit our reading room, please e-mail us with the date(s) and time(s) you want to visit. Appointments should be made 48 hours in advance, so we can let you know in time if there is a space available in the reading room.
- Documents and records should be requested at least 48 hours in advance, so we can guarantee the records can go through a quarantine period after they have been collected from the archival repository. This means you can no longer request documents during your reading room visit and consult them that same day.
- Mouth masks are mandatory, both in the hallways of the buildings of the VUB and in our reading room. We expect visitors to bring their own masks.
- We provide hand sanitiser at the entrance for everyone to use when entering the reading room.
If everyone adheres to these safety measures, we can make sure our visitors can once more safely conduct their research at CAVA!
Our Reading Room
You can consult inventories and descriptions in our online catalogue in order to prepare for your visit to our reading room. If you want to consult documents, please contact us in advance, so we can make sure the documents you require will be available to you. This saves you time and ensures your visit goes smoothly. The reading room attendant will help you identify material pertinent to your research and answer any questions you might have.
Our reading room is accessible to wheelchair users. There is a wheelchair ramp to the building and a lift inside. To ensure a smooth passage for visitors with disabilities, there are no carpets, glass doors, partitions and/or cork boards in our reading room. Our dynamic reading room is equipped with movable tables, so every visitor can choose which setup is most comfortable for him or her.
Our reading room is a quiet space. For blind and visually impaired visitors texts can be read out loud.
Service dogs are allowed in the reading room.
The reading room is open to the public, every workday from 8h30 until 11h45 and again from 13h00 until 17h00. Closure dates are announced in advance on our website.
You can find the CAVA reading room on the Brussels Humanities, Sciences & Engineering Campus of the VUB. It can be reached both by public transportation and by car.